The Yarn Gourmet Important Information

Location: 2915 Mishawaka Ave, South Bend IN 46615 (across from River Park Furniture)
Phone: 574-232-9276
Email: yarngourmet@comcast.net

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 10 - 5
Friday: 10 - 8
Saturday: 9 - 3
Closed Sunday & Monday

Sunday, April 10, 2011

My name is Arvilla...

...and I am a history geek.  There - I said it.  I love history, especially anything from around 800 AD to 1900 AD.  When Shotime had "The Tudors" series on I waited impatiently for each new episode / season (Tudor England is a particular favorite of mine).  I love the Starz series on Spartacus.  Last night I discovered "The Borgias" on Shotime.

One of the things I enjoy most about historical productions of this ilk is observing the accuracy of the costumes and architecture.  I am hardly an expert on either, but as a result of touring Hampton Court in 1980 I do know that doors were not commonly in use in the time of Henry VIII.  This made some of the scenes in the "Tudors" series a bit unfaithful to history, but did allow for the drama of a slammed door.

The costumes, however, were very accurate, and the costumes in "The Borgias" are fascinating.  One of the things I like to look for is knitted lace.  So far I have not seen a great deal of it, but I will continue watching, just in case.

There - I have justified my history geek-ness as knitting research.

I am looking into getting some Schacht rigid heddle looms in the shop, and possibly some spinning wheels.  Please let me know if you are interested in either.  Kristen will teach classes in weaving, and you will be able to try weaving first to see if you want to get a loom.  The ones I am thinking of carrying are the Schacht Cricket loom - a very, very affordable entry level rigid heddle loom, perfect for someone who wants to experiment with weaving without making a big cash investment.  I hope to eventually have one of each Shcacht wheel available for people to "test drive", so you can order the wheel you prefer.

Purls of wisdom:  Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano
player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!"

No comments:

Post a Comment