The Yarn Gourmet Important Information

Location: 2915 Mishawaka Ave, South Bend IN 46615 (across from River Park Furniture)
Phone: 574-232-9276
Email: yarngourmet@comcast.net

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 10 - 5
Friday: 10 - 8
Saturday: 9 - 3
Closed Sunday & Monday

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Arrivals!

Santa came today (remember him - Keith, the UPS guy?) and brought me Feza's Alp Natural, plus Himalaya Yarns Tibet Silk!  Beautiful stuff!  I currently  have the Alp Natural in 5 colors - khaki, green, maroon, purple and cream; other colors are on back-order.  I also got in the gold colorway of the Alp Light - stunning.

The Tibet Silk is lovely stuff, made from scraps collected at sari factories in India.  The yarn colors vary from one time to the next, depending on what color saris were being made the day the scraps were collected, but it is a great way to get 100% silk with lots of character.  It makes unique scarves, but my favorite thing to do with it is either mitered squares or diagonal knitting, such as in a vest or jacket.

Work continues on the Great American Afghan.  I was about 75% done with the first square when I noticed that I had neglected to add Chart D in the appropriate place at the half-way point.  Fine.  I had to rip back about 2 1/2 inches of cable and lace.  The real sport began when I had to figure out where I was on Charts A and B (C was finished) as these do not have the same number of rows.  I persevered, however, and am back on track, almost to the same point as when I had to rip out.  I wanted to have this square done and the next started before the next meeting of the Knit-along (this Saturday), but that may not actually happen now.

Other projects I am working on (all concurrently) are a lace cardigan out of Berroco's Seduce.  This yarn makes a pattern for a "wear it to church" sweater into a "wear it to meet the Queen" sweater.  Never underestimate what a change in yarn can do for a pattern. 

I am also working on a pullover, very simple and straightforward, out of Berroco's Jasper.  The striping is fabulous, and since I knit it in the round up to the armholes it is now changing, making the front and back above the armholes with deeper stripes.  The sleeves will have even deeper stripes - I think this is going to turn out to be a gorgeous sweater.

And I am working on a model of Maggiknits Trellis Tweed Scarf in turquoise.  I am at the half-way point on that, and have discovered that working with angora gives me hairballs.  But it's beautiful!

I am also going to add a page to this blog listing all the yarns I carry, and if possible, the colors on hand.  I won't be able to do a full-blown website for a while yet, but I'm getting there.  I should be fully integrated in to the 20th century by Christmas.  Next year I'll shoot for the 21st century.  Might as well.  Knit happy!

Purls of wisdom: that which does not kill you makes you stronger, especially if you kill and eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment